- Visiting customers
- Visiting suppliers
- Queries from staff over technical matters
- Customer complaints
- Planning and control work
- Reading mails
- Chasing overdue accounts
- Checking stocks and reordering
- Attending Management meetings
- Handling staff problems
- Interpersonal skill
- Information processing
|2||After-sales service or availability of spare parts|
|3||Previous good experience of the product|
|4||Proximity of supplier|
|5||Security of supply|
|6||General reputation of supplier|
|7||The volume of other goods purchased from the same supplier|
|8||Good personal relationship with salesman and technical staff of the supplier|
- Pigment testing as per IS 33
- Solvent testing as per IS 82
- Evaluation of paints and pigments
- Testing plastic and rubber components
- Salt spray resistance
- Humidity resistance
- Accelerated QUV weatherometer test
- Bend test
- Impact resistance test
- Water analysis
- Acid / alkali / fertilizer / water resistance tests
- Cross hatch test
- Glossmeter reading in 20 deg, 45 deg and 80 deg
- Colour matching computer
- Pencil hardness test
- Metal pretreatment bath parameter maintenance
- Sieve residue analyzer
For finishes made with Polyester epoxy powder coat on nano-treated mild steel components. All tests are conducted on panels as recommended in ASTM standards.
|Colour||L*a*b readings of less than 0.3 under cool white light to RAL Shades||Ref. RAL Shade cards|
|Gloss||60 +/- 10 at 60o at 1.5 mil||ASTM D523|
|Hardness||No film cut while gouging with a mechanical pencil using a 2H lead||ASTM D3363|
|Adhesion or cross hatch test||No loss of adhesion Class 5B||ASTM D3359|
|Flexibility||No cracking or peeling at 1/8” Conical Mandrel||ASTM D522|
|Chemical and Stain Resistance||Five drops of each reagent under a watch glass for 4 hours. There shall be no more than a trace of stain. Change in gloss shall not exceed standard. Reagents used: IPA, Nail polish remover, fizzy drinks like coke, Mustard, Tea, Coffee, 5% acetone||ASTM D1308|
|Impact Resistance||No peeling or loss of adhesion using adhesion tape.||ASTM D2794|
|Salt Spray Resistance||Min. 400 hours, no creeping corrosion||ASTM B117|
|Humidity Resistance||No blistering after 200 hours||ASTM D2247|
|Abrasion Resistance||0.3 g – 0.4 g material loss after 100 cycles of Tabor Abrader||ASTM D4060|
|Oven Bake Resistance||Within the specification of colour, gloss, hardness and adhesion after double bake of one panel||ASTM D2454|
|UV Resistance||Minimal change in colour or gloss after 60 hours using QUV-A bulbs||Ref. QUV Weatherometer manual|
|S. No.||Raw materials||Qty (kg)|
|2||Sodium hexa meta phosphate||0.20|
|4||Anionic dispersing agent||0.70|
|5||Nonionic dispersing agent||0.40|
|7||Hydroxy ethyl cellulose||0.50|
|9||Dry film preservative||0.70|
|12||Titanium dioxide – anatase||18.00|
|13||Calcined china clay||5.00|
|16||Pure acrylic emulsion||35.00|
|Approximate rate per kg|
|Pigment paste for tinting|
|100 G tank|
|10 kg, 4 kg, 1 kg|
Degreasing bath control parameters
|Bath concentration for immersion||5%|
|Bath temperature||30 deg. C min. 60 deg. C max.|
|Immersion time||5 minutes to 10 minutes|
|Free alkali, points||20 to 35|
|Total alkali / Free alkali ratio||< 3.0|
Testing and Control:
Warning: Do not pippette by mouth, use a pro-pipette.
Pipet a 10 ml degreasing bath sample solution into a 150-ml beaker. Add 5 drops of phenolphthalein indicator. Titrate with Standard Acid Titrating Solution (0.1 N H2SO4) to the end point. Disappearance of pink colour is the end point. The volume of the titrating solution is the free alkali value in points.
Disappearance of pink colour – End point
Pipet a 10 ml of degreasing bath solution sample into a 150-ml beaker. Add 5 drops of bromocresol indicator solution. Titrate against with the Standard Acid Titrating Solution (0.1 N H2SO4) to the end point. Appearance of pale green from blue colour is the end point. The volume of Titrating Solution is the total alkali value in the alkali bath.
End point: Blue to green
Total Alkali/Free Alkali Ratio:
As the degreasing bath is used regularly and frequently, it becomes contaminated, and the total alkali value will rise. Thus, the ratio of the total alkali value to the free alkali value will also rise and this becomes a useful measure of the degree of contamination of the cleaner solution. The solution is periodically dumped or continuously overflowed to keep the total alkali to free alkali ratio from exceeding the maximum value determined for the system. Total Alkali/Free Alkali Ratio should be regularly monitored. The value under typical cleaning conditions should not be allowed to exceed 3.0.
Alkaline Degreasing Powder (ADP) provides degreasing and cleaning of mild steel sheet metal components from 40 deg. C to 70 deg. C for powerful cleaning and at room temperature for normal cleaning. It can be diluted to 3% to 6% by weight by volume concentration in industrial water based on the condition of the components. Painting or powder coating can be done on the cleaned components after thorough drying followed by proper metal pre-treatments like conventional zinc phosphating or iron phosphating.
Formulation of Alkaline Degreasing Powder
|1||Sodium hydroxide flakes||35.0|
|2||Sodium meta silicate||25.0|
|5||Lissapol D Powder (disodium lauryl sulphate)||6.0|
- Sodium hydroxide or caustic soda is available as flakes or pellets. Flake form is recommended in this formulation.
- Sodium meta silicate breaks down fatty acids in oil and greases. I it is also available in powder form.
- Sodium gluconate helps to protect metals like steel when strong caustic based cleaners are used. It helps to break down scale on metal components. Sodium gluconate has the advantage of being non-toxic and biodegradable. It is available in crystalline powder and liquid form. Powder form is recommended in this formulation.
- Sodium hexa meta phosphate is a surface acting agent and dispersant.
- Lissapol D is a surfactant and wetting agent, available in powder, liquid and paste form. Powder form is better for this formulation.
- Sodium carbonate breaks down grease and oil, and removes lubricants and grease applied on sheet metal components.
- Pony mixer is ideal for mixing degreasing powder.
- Mix items one to three thoroughly in the mixer and add the wetting agents to get uniform mixture and finally add item 6.
- After obtaining uniform mixing the degreasing powder should be packed in dry plastic containers.
Features of Pony mixer
- Agitator consists of vertical blades held on rotating head positioned near the wall of the can.
- Blades are slightly twisted. That makes the product efficient mixing.
- Agitator is mounted eccentrically.
- Blades can be cleaned and replaced.
Degreasing tank make up
- Recommended 5% concentration by weight by volume.
- Longer duration may be required to clean at room temperature for more oily and degreased components.
- Less than five minutes may be required at 50 deg C to 70 deg C for cleaning oily and greasy layer of any mild steel sheet metal components.
- Oil contents of the bath should be constantly monitored.
- If the components are not properly cleaned with industrial water after degreasing, the alkaline carry over may disturb further process. Ensure thorough cleaning after degreasing.
- If the components are rusty, derusting should be done before application of any paint.
Acrylic Emulsion Guidelines – List of Raw Materials
|S.No.||Raw Materials||Popular Brand Names|
|Vinyl acetate co-polymer inter platicised emulsion-55% solids Usage: Acrylic distemper, interior primer and acrylic wall putty||Visicryl 6155 Min. pack: 220 kg|
|Vam Veova co-polymer, 55% solids Usage: Interior, exterior emulsion and exterior primer||Visicryl 4056 Min. pack. 220 kg|
|Styrene copolymer, 50% solids – excellent water resistant Usage: all purpose||Visicryl 7650 Min pack. 50 kg|
|Dispersing agent – 30% solids||Visicryl 830 Min. pack. 20 kg|
|Thickener – 28% solids||Visicryl 828 Min. pack. 50 kg|
|Hydroxy ethyl cellulose Usage: for exterior purpose||Any brand Min. 25 kg|
|Wetting agent||Alphox 200 Min. pack. 50 kg|
|Defoamer||Any brand Min. pack. 30 kg|
|Liquor ammonia – pH neutraliser||Any brand Min. pack. 35 L|
|Incan preservative||Preventol D7 Min. pack. 50 kg|
|Dry film preservative||Preventol A14D Min. pack. 60 kg|
|Sodium hexametaphosphate – water softener||Any brand Min. pack. 50 kg|
|Diethylene glycol- moisture retention and film forming agent||Any brand Min. pack 230 kg|
|Pine oil – flow additive||Any brand Min. pack. 30 L|
|Titanium dioxide||Any brand Min. pack25 kg|
|Colour paste for interior and exterior||Specific brand Min. 1 kg|